Virtual Races do not count towards our club, sorry.
Revised August 1st, 2018
Congratulations! You are part of the Marathon Maniacs Insane Asylum! The following rules/criteria will guide you through the sea of confusion when entering your race stats, levels, and what does or does not count as an "official" race for THIS club.
What counts as a Race:
- Fixed Distance Races that are 26.2 miles or longer. (Example: NYC Marathon, Route 66 Marathon, JFK 50 Miler)
- Fixed Duration Races (AKA set time races / timed races). (Example: Across The Years, Jackpot)
- Races must be open to the public. Club-only or private group races DO NOT count.
- Races must be advertised via web site at least one month prior to the event.
- You must complete the distance for which you registered.
Fixed Distance Races MUST have ALL the following characteristics:
- Minimum of 15 starters and 14 finishers (AKA 15/14). Events that appear to be fixing, stacking, or manipulating the rule by having starters drop to a different distance, too many DNFs in the results, or race directors name in the results, can and will be deemed an unacceptable race.
- An official Race Director (AKA the RD).
- Official results posted on the race website or timing company website (Athlinks, Racewire, etc).
- A common start time with 15 starters. If there is an Early Start, the Early starters and Common starters MAY BE COMBINED. *It is your responsibility to know how many starters are in the race.
- **If a race has a Common Start with multiple events of 26.2 and longer, you MAY COMBINE the starters. *ALL races MUST START at the same time.
Fixed Duration Events:
- Minimum of 15 starters and 14 finishers (AKA 15/14). NO EXCEPTIONS. Events that appear to be fixing, stacking, or manipulating the rule by having starters drop to a different distance, too many DNFs in the results, or race directors name in the results, can and will be deemed an unacceptable race.
- 0-6 hours, a minimum of 26.2 miles must be completed.
- 6:01 and above, a minimum of a 50K must be completed.
- There must be a system in place (chip, rubber bands, spotters) to count laps. If no system exists, it DOES NOT count.
- Any lap/mileage discrepancy must be resolved by the RD at the race. If your Garmin says you ran 31 miles, but the timer says you ran 30 miles, run the extra lap to be safe.
- You may start the race late if the RD allows it. Early starts DO NOT COUNT. The concept of a Fixed Duration Event is that there is ample time to complete 26.2/31 miles. *This is a MAJOR DIFFERENCE from a Fixed Distance Race.
- **If a race has a Common Start with multiple events of 26.2/6 hrs or longer, you MAY COMBINE the starters. *ALL races MUST START at the same time.
What Does Not Count: This section hopefully answers many questions.
- If you have been disqualified for any reason, it DOES NOT COUNT.
- If you finish after the official cut off time and are not in the official results, it DOES NOT COUNT.
- If you were swept or removed from the course for any reason, it DOES NOT COUNT.
- If you are signed up for a 50K, 100K, 50 miler, 100 miler, etc and stop at the 26.2 mark, it DOES NOT COUNT.
- Banditing a race DOES NOT COUNT.
- Pacing a friend, if you are not a registered runner, DOES NOT COUNT.
- If 15 runners start, but only 9 finish, it DOES NOT COUNT.
- A Relay DOES NOT COUNT.
- A Virtual Race DOES NOT COUNT.
What Does Count: This section addresses some of the finer points.
- 1 Event = 1 Race. For example, a 100 mile race COUNTS as 1 race.
- If the RD allows you to "drop down" during the race (you were in the 50 miler, but "dropped" to the marathon), and you are in the official results, it DOES COUNT.
- If you are an official Pacer (you lead a Pace Group, have a bib, are in the results) it DOES COUNT.
- If you complete an IM 140.3 Triathlon (solo), it DOES COUNT.
**NEW for 2018 and Beyond: The Combined Common Starter Rule
Due to the increase in multiple event races, ALL runners may be combined provided ALL RACES start at THE SAME TIME. For example, if an event has a marathon/50K/50miler that starts at 6am, you may count all the starters. DO NOT COUNT any distance under 26.2. Results will be checked.
Any races put on by the following events will NOT count. Please find another race to run if you want it to be countable.
I Ran Marathons
If you have further questions about the club rules, or are curious if a race will count, you can email the staff at firstname.lastname@example.org