MARATHON MANIACS WAIVER AND DISCLAIMER RELEASE OF LIABILITY
Participating in a marathon (and ultramarathon), whether running or walking, has inherent risks involved and could potentially be considered a hazardous activity. Not only the numerous injuries that you may incur by training and running in these events, but past history has shown that some runners have died during and upon completion of a marathon. The Marathon Maniacs are not responsible for any injuries or deaths. You must have medical clearance from your doctor before you engage in any exercise program and are properly trained before participating in these types of events.
Marathon and ultramarathon training and racing can also be a highly addictive sport, especially when trying to achieve a higher star level in the Insane Asylum. Not only can there by physical setbacks, but mental, psychological, social and financial setbacks as well. The Marathon Maniacs will not be responsible for any of the above conditions incurred by you. Examples of these, but not limited to, the following actions:
- On the verge or getting into financial ruin, including bankruptcy, by participating in so many marathons
- Loss of a significant other, due to your addiction in this sport
- Neglect of your residence (inside and outside, especially the yard) because of your constant absence due to participating in marathons
- Any damage to personal property due (or property of others) when driving to and from events, especially when you’re tired and have to drive quite a distance to another marathon the day after you completed one (or the same day!)
- Withdrawal symptoms when you can’t participate in events due to injury, special engagements, family functions, costs, etc.
- There are many more examples…TOO NUMEROUS TO LIST
It is not our intent for anyone to get hurt or injured in trying to become a Marathon Maniac. When you become a Marathon Maniac, you accept responsibility for all your injuries, illnesses, mishaps, including but not limited to the above items mentioned. When you are initiated into the Insane Asylum, you waive and release the Marathon Maniacs, its members and sponsors from all claims or liabilities of any kind arising out of your participation in marathons and ultras.